Monday, June 12, 2006

Confessions

Well I finished reading Driscoll’s book, Confessions of a Reformission Rev. Great book! I have talked about it before in the blog, but it is really a great read. I was challenged and inspired. What’s really amazing is the church has grown so fast in so short a time. Amazing. I was also challenged because they are not done yet. They are still striving to grow and reach more people. And I think that’s something that all churches should try to do. The idea that a church should stay small because it builds a nice sense of community is laziness. And I gotta say the same thing about youth ministries. I am currently leading a ministry of about 25, regular attendees, and 60 on paper. But it’s really the 25 that count. I’m doing good as far as the national average goes, and in proportion to my church’s size we are alright. But there are so many lost, hurting kids that need to know Jesus. I shouldn’t ever be satisfied with the size of my ministry. I shouldn’t ever feel like we’ve arrived, because there is always work to be done. That’s the biggest thing that I took away from Confessions, there is always more to be done. It was also encouraging to read about how Mars Hill went through several stages of chaos and during that Chaos they were actually able to keep growing. Things that would have ruined other churches actually became sources of unity and strength in their community. Driscoll also writes in such a way that he sounds smart, funny, and like a regular dude all at the same time. I’ll be honest, I really respect Driscoll and all that he and Mars Hill have accomplished, I like his preaching style and I tend to model my preaching after him a little bit because it just feels comfortable. But yeah this book is a great resource for leaders in churches, or people aspiring to church leadership. It paints a real picture of what church life is like.